Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Another Mattson picks UND

As Brad Schlossman of the Grand Forks Herald first reported, U.S. NTDP Under-17 defenseman Nick Mattson has verbally committed to the University of North Dakota for the fall of 2010. The Chaska, Minn. native chose the Fighting Sioux over Minnesota and Wisconsin.


This Mattson will join Holy Angels junior forward Danny Mattson (no relation) and several other Twin Cities natives in Grand Forks over the next several years. Schlossman's blog does a good job of outlining the UND / Twin Cities pipeline.

Here are some quotes from Mattson, which come from the GFH article that is linked to in the first paragraph:

“North Dakota kind of matches my personality,” Mattson said. “I’m a small town kid. I just really felt comfortable with the coaching staff and facilities. I had a chance to meet some of the guys when I visited there, asked them some questions, and everyone seemed to love it.”


“This is the biggest relief I’ve ever felt in my life,” Mattson said. “I had a long time to think about it. It’s something I’ve really been thinking about all the time for the past five months. It feels really, really good to have it done with.”



"I have a ton of things to work on to get to where I want to be,” Mattson said. “It’s nice to get this (commitment) out of the way, so I can focus on my game.”